- Weekend Mass Times:
- Saturday: 5:30 PM (English)
- Sunday: 7:45 AM, 10:30 AM, 5:00 PM (English)
- 12:15 PM (Spanish)
- 9:15 AM (First Sunday of the month only - German)
- Weekday Mass Times:
- Monday: 8:30 AM (English)
- Tuesday: 8:30 AM (English)
- Wednesday: 6:00 PM (English)
- Thursday: 8:30 AM (English)
- Friday: 8:30 AM (English)
- Saturday: 8:30 AM (English)
- Holy Days and Holidays
Set up online donations
to St. Alphonsus. Subscribe to our
free e-newsletter, with up-to-the-minute information on parish news and events.
Working for Peace and Justice
The mission and goals of the Peace and Justice committee
The Peace and Justice committee has three goals:
- To reflect on how the Gospel calls us to a lifestyle which brings about peace and justice.
- To help educate the members of the committee and the parish on issues of social justice and the respect for life.
- To provide opportunities for parishioners to engage in direct service.
The committee meets on the fourth Tuesday of the month at 7:30 PM in the rectory and all are welcome.
There is a listserv to which you can subscribe to receive updates and notices of opportunities for involvement.
- Working with Marah's, a housing site for formerly homeless and mentally ill women which occupies the former convent on the St. Alphonsus campus. In addition to providing material donations, parishioners cook dinner for and socialize with the residents on a periodic basis. If you are interested, contact Shari Reyes.
- Connecting with the Night Ministry, which serves the homeless youth population in the Lakeview area. Parishioners make and serve bag suppers for youth on a periodic basis. If you are interested, Jessica Sirois and Bobby Schaefer.
- Working with Lakeview Pantry, which has a site on the St. Alphonsus campus, providing volunteers and donations. If you are interested, contact Erin Stephens.
- Encouraging Respect for Life. We do fundraising for the Women's Center, which provides support and material assistance to women in troubled pregnancies. (If you are interested, contact them via this site.) We also coordinate education in the parish on life issues and coordinate with other parishes and agencies for events and activities. If you are interested, contact Pauline Fijalkiewicz.
- Selling vouchers for Chicago Shares. Purchasers can give vouchers to those who beg on the streets which can be redeemed only for food and other necessities. If you are interested, contact Emily Wetta.
The Giving Tree - Our Christmas Project
The Giving Tree at St. Alphonsus, which annually collects more than $20,000 in merchandise distributed through Catholic Charities, Marah's, The Night Ministry and Lakeview Pantry.
If you gave in 2010, and would like a donation receipt for your tax records, contact Cathy Crino.
St. Alphonsus supports Fair Trade endeavors and urges you to think of shopping for certified Fair Trade items whenever possible.
Click here to find local and online resources for gifts, household items, coffee and chocolate.
St. Alphonsus has sponsored several mission trips to Central America. These have included educational trips to El Salvador, building with Habitat for Humanity in Guatemala, and working with a Franciscan mission in Honduras.
Speaker series and educational events
From time to time, the committee sponsors speaker series on topics relevant to the church's social mission and the respect for life.